Tuesday, February 21, 2012

And the winner is...

It was a GREAT weekend! I went to Billings, Montana with the team for our last few horse shows in the region!
My friend Kelsey gave me this! Isn't it awesome? I can't wait to hang it up!
We had three shows at Rocky Mountain College as well as Regions. I took 1st place in the first show, and 3rd in the next two.
Just having some fun at the show! With, Alisha, Carly, Camille, Me, Lexi and Diane!
Regions was for the people who pointed up to the next level during the year. Kelsey pointed up in both the rail and reigning. And she won both of them! So she will be going to semi-finals as an individual in Florida!
This is the USU Equestrian Team! Region Champs!
But not only did Kelsey and others on our team qualify individually, WE WON THE REGION CHAMPIONSHIP!!! It is such an amazing feeling! Because we won, the team qualified to go to semis in Florida as well. But our coach will only pick one person from each level to represent the team... So I have a 50/50 chance of being chosen to go. I REALLY WANT TO GO! So we will see what happens.
This is me and Cruz, this is the horse I won on...
We went to Johnny Corrino's for a celebratory dinner, and this was my really yummy dessert.
Me and Camille at dinner
My ribbons from the weekend!
Look at those pretty ribbons. It is such a good feeling to look at those and see the proof that I accomplished something really great and was part of something that has changed and influenced my life forever. A lot of hard work, anxiety and tears went into winning that blue ribbon and being a part of helping my team come out on top.
Here is another picture of the team... Back row: Courtney, Tina, Diane, Carly, Lexi, Alisha, Me, Sydney. Front row: Camille, Elyse, Marie, Mandy, Jason (our coach), Kelsey and Austin.
I have made some great friends this year through the team and have learned so much. I have learned that I really can do hard things and if I work hard I can come out on top. I have started to learn how to work through my anxiety in stressful situations, and what I can do to help calm myself down. For example, at our first practice back from Christmas break, I had a major panic attack at practice while we were prepping the horses and having a team meeting. I was having a hard time breathing, both my eyes were twitching and I was super dizzy. All I wanted to do at that moment was run and cry and I was very close to walking out the door and quitting the team. (I AM SO GLAD I DIDN'T DO THAT!!!) I decided to just stay and keep breathing and to see how things went. We went out into the arena and I watched as half of the team rode and I was still struggling. It was finally my turn to ride, and after one lap around the arena, I was completely calm. It was amazing how just being on the horse and walking around calmed my nerves and anxiety so much. I really wish I knew more about horses and stuff because I think it would be amazing to use my psychology degree and be able to work in a horse therapy type of program, because I know it can work. A person can learn a lot and heal a lot with out even realizing it when they are learning how to ride a horse. You can make a connection with a horse that is unique. I have friends who say that their horse knows everything, because when they are frustrated and struggling, they can ride and just work it all out there and talk. I know when I have had a bad day, I love going out to Kelsey's barn and ride. It is amazing what it does for me. I love it, and I am so grateful for Kelsey and Jason for really introducing me to world of horses because it has changed my life and built my confidence.
I hope that this last weekend wasn't my last time showing with the team, but we will see. Even if it is I am so glad I did it and I want to say thank you to everyone who supported me through this! Who would have ever thought that the girly hairdresser would turn into a cowgirl? I sure never saw that one coming! Now I look at Ariat cowboy boots and bling belts instead of heels and purses! Hahaha! So to sum it up, It has been an AMAZING adventure, and I hope that I can continue riding for the rest of my life!

6 comments:

  1. Congrats for all the successes, Rachel! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This almost made me cry:) I love you! Can we please see you ride a horse when we come for graduation? Syd would think it was the coolest thing ever! And I have read stories, probably in the readers digest, about horse therapy programs, get on line right now and look into it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel that's so exciting!!! Go you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sign is AWESOME!! Way to go girly!!! I agree with Sara, this almost made me cry! You are so amazing! I'm glad you were able to overcome your anxiety and didn't quit the team, that would have been so sad! Congrats on all of your awards! I really hope you get to go to Florida!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am SOOO proud of you!!! I think you should come work with me and Paige...we have equine therapy. Whenever I go to get the horses with the girls they always escape and it causes me more anxiety!!! So I think you should come help with the horses and teach us all :) Love ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is sooo awesome! Congrats!!! I like the saying at the top as well :)

    ReplyDelete